Friday, October 15, 2010

World's Coolest Intern

As a soon-to-be Gator alum, I have spent a great deal of time scouring the web for my dream job. This morning's Mashable search led me to Standard Chartered Bank's World's Coolest Intern position. The following blog post is my entry - feel free to comment and help Standard Chartered know how much this opportunity means to me!

----

Singapore has my heart. I have fond memories of the time I spent roaming the impeccably clean streets of this dynamic city, watching the sunrise from the docks of Raffles Marina and eating sweet red bean curd dumplings for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner.)


I didn't get to Singapore by sleeping through an 18-hour Singapore Air flight. Singapore was the final port of my first semester with Class Afloat, an experiential education program that transformed the way I look at the world and how I fit into it. My classmates and I ended the semester in Singapore at Christmas-time after sailing across the Pacific and through its islands from Vancouver, B.C in August.


Since Class Afloat ended, I have been in Gainesville as a student at the University of Florida, where my passion for writing and technology by studying journalism and computer science. A little over a year ago, I started writing at my healthy lifestyle blog, Exercise and Eat, and my eyes were opened to the world of social media.

Articles I used to breeze through and blow off now had the chance to be deemed Facebook-status-update worthy. I learned to whittle random daily thoughts into 140-character works of art. Simply put, social media has changed how I view and interact with the world.

Similar to Class Afloat, social media networking has made the world a smaller, more manageable place to live in. At any moment, I can read a blog post about the safety of Chilean miners, Parisian crêpes filled with Nutella or a recap of bad calls made by referees at the last Gator game. Social media can take me around the world without having to leave my desk.

When I do manage to tear myself from the computer screen, I take trips that align themselves with my passion for the social media world. This past August, I ventured to Chicago for the Healthy Living Summit, a weekend-long healthy-living blog conference, where the social media world I live in came to life and proved to me once again how well the Internet brings people together.


I would be a great fit for Standard Chartered's position of the World's Coolest Intern. Creating my own online presence has taught me about the capabilities of social networking as a way to position a company, market to new customers and promote brand awareness, as I learned when branding Exercise and Eat.

Besides my social media knowledge, I have extensive travel experience that allows me to be comfortable in any city and blend well in any situation. Living in Singapore for six months to promote the Standard Chartered brand via the Breeze blog and Twitter feed would be a dream come true, and I hope to make the cut as the World's Coolest Intern.

2 comments:

  1. sounds AMAZING!!! ill tweet campaign for ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did it to Top 23!!!! Yay Way to go! Best of luck to both of us :)

    ReplyDelete