Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sew-Ken-BEACH-Ah Give-A-Way

Yesterday afternoon, my phone rang. It was my apartment complex's office manager, prompting me to come home because "you have another large package here" and "we don't know if it needs to be refrigerated." I think they're supremely interested in the fact that I am a (partly) a food blogger.

I'll save you the boring picture I took of the outside of the cardboard box on my kitchen island counter. Lord knows how many of those ya'll have seen before.

Looking down at the goods:


Gorgeous! But wait - I've yet to tell you the most important details: who the package is from! About a week (or so) ago, I was contacted about doing a review of Sokenbicha (Sew-Ken-BEACH-Ah), a new tea that is hitting the shelves of Whole Foods this October - ever heard of that store? I hear they have quite the hot bar;)

Sokenbicha teas are refreshing, authentically brewed teas with natural botanicals and are believed to help balance from within. Their package came with a packet about their product that had a very clever slogan in it: "You used to laugh at acupuncture, and you didn't eat sushi, either. But time and again, Eastern ideas for health and wellness have proven refreshingly wise."

Cut to the chase: Sokenbicha teas come in a range of flavors, including:
  • Revive (Wood) - meant to do what its name implies, this crisp tea includes Oolong leaves, black tea leavves, rose hips and petal, and ginseng.
  • Defend (Water) - to defend from within, includes guava leaves, ginseng and black tea leaves. Mild taste.
  • Purify (Fire) - an aromatic green tea, chamomile, aloe, oolong leaves and black teas help purify.
  • Shape (Earth) - a bold tea, to shape from within, using young barley leaves, pearl barley, Pu'er tea leaves, green tea leaves, roasted rice and roasted brown rice
  • Skin (Metal) - to refine the skin from within using young barley leaves, roasted pear barley, cinnamon, ginger, roasted rice, roasted brown rice, Pu'er tea leaves and green tea. Full-bodied taste.
After sipping each, I determined the skin tea to be my favorite - not only for its purpose - but for its taste. The flavors of green tea, cinnamon and ginger melded very well together. Their zero calorie teas combine the refreshment of water to quench your thirst.

Underneath the pamphlet and Sokenbicha reusable grocery bag: a beautiful notebook! Remember these? They're not much like the netbook I tweeted about yesterday.


The beautifully-presented package the Sokenbicha teas came in:


Other facts about Sokenbicha:
  • Sokenbicha uses The Five Elements Theory, a holistic philosophy imported from China in the composition of their tea flavors. The traditional Japanese (we switched countries), classifies the natural world into the five elements you see above, and reflects those correlations between the "human body and the natural environment" to "result in health and well-being."
  • According to the Five Elements Theory, the "blends of teas and botanicals in Sokenbicha are believed to balance the body by balancing the elements within."

Sokenbicha is also a company that considers sustainability of the utmost important - they use up to 30% plant-based 100% recyclable bottle redesigned plastic to bottle their teas.
  • Recycling - Bottle and label are 100% recyclable
  • Processing - the teas are authentically brewed, and production waste is recycled as mulch.
  • Growers Corporate Social Responsibility - Worker housing, health care, child care, mandatory schooling, and CSR Customer Partnership Projects are all supported by Sokenbicha.
  • Sri Lanka Tea Suppliers Commited to the Environment - 100% hand-plucked tea leaves, no pollution due to generating harvesting machines and hydroelectricity are used at their facilities

Sokenbicha is willing to send samples to a few of my readers. To enter the giveaway:
  • Comment on this post about which tea flavor you'd like to try most and why,
  • Tweet about this giveaway (I'm @ExerciseandEat!)
Good luck!

For more information about Sokenbicha, you can visit their social media sites:

12 comments:

  1. I want to try them all! Purify and Skin sound good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they did come in a really pretty package!

    The Purify and Defend sound yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need the Defend, but want to try the Skin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would try the "Metal" I like how it infuses all those different flavors, especially the cinnamon and ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tweeted this giveaway on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sokenbicha sounds so exotic and tasty! I would love to sample this tea!- lanecindy on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to try the Defend. I'm a fan of anything tropical - including guava ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to try the Skin flavor! Anything that could possibly improve my skin is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to try "Fire".
    They all sound great, though...
    :o)
    pippirose59 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to try the Shape or Purify. Love Chamomile and Green tea. The rice flavor in the Shape flavor sounds very interesting. I'll link back from my space. (and look for them in Whole Foods when they come out!) Sign me up for a sample! Beautiful packaging,

    ReplyDelete