Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fact Error

Tonight proved that my reasoning for not leaving my Twitter or Google Reader accounts alone for long periods of time holds true: because when I do, it always seems comes to life. Unfortunately, it's not always in a good way, and this was one of those nights.

Katie Drummond, a journalist at Marie Claire, wrote an article about the "Big Six" of the blog world that I found on Strawberry Sweat.

Drummond did not focus on how the Big Six make the time to post to their blog two or three times daily, documenting their personal, healthy choices. She did not focus on their hard work to combat negative body image and tearing down stereotypes of what health means and should look like.


Drummond decided to document the Big Six's blogs as eating disorder-inducing, unhealthy images for readers. Most of us (I'd say about a 99.9% rate) know that's far from the truth.

The image I took from the Healthy Living Summit was one of balance, and I couldn't begin to imagine Caitlin keeping us away from dangerous carbs like miniature croissants and muffins - honestly, Drummond? I don't believe you could have written your article the way you did if you had been reading the Big Six's blogs on a daily basis, like most of us do.

This is simply a poorly written, incorrect story. If the Big Six were to be pictured, it should have been from the perspective that the Big Six blogs are not at all disorder-inducing, but are instead positive, healthy images of balanced lifestyles. Drummond's was a story that is not well researched or factual whatsoever. This story is the opposite of what I've been taught to write - a story that portrays its subjects in a false light.

Drummond, the next time you write a story, make sure it's an accurate representation of the individuals and/or community you represent. The healthy living community is a resilient one that will bounce back. Best of luck in writing more factual stories in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so mad about this.

    I get it enough from my friends and family who criticize me for being "too healthy" (I didn't know there was such a thing).

    But to get the healthy living blog community as a whole down, is just such b.s. Especially for a magazine that claims they promote a healthy womanly perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I'm pissed about this article. I know these girls first hand and she took everything out of context. I want her FIRED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the "Big Six" supposedly have an eating disorder for not refueling with Twinkies and Coke after a double-digit run, but it's totally okay to put an app on the MC website that shows women what they'd look like ten pounds skinnier? Hmmm...

    Awesome insight. I'm pissed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard or read the Big 6 blogs before I saw that article. I checked them all out after reading it. The MC article is just over the top. So training for a marathon and eating oatmeal is bad, but page after page of unhealthy, twig skinny models and diet pill ads are. Give me a break.

    On the flip side, the big 6 just got a lot bigger. I added them all to my reader.

    Be well,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete