Monday, October 11, 2010

The Baking Urge

Yesterday, while I was racking up my list of Ten Things on 10-10-10, I got the urge. You probably get it from time to time, too: the urge to bake. Naturally, as with all temptations that I cross paths with, I gave in.

The victim: Trader Joe's pumpkin bread. I decided to up the ante and add Nestle semi sweet chocolate chips to the mix. It was probably the best decision I made all day.

Four-Ingredient Fix: Mix, oil, egg beaters (whites) and semi-sweet chocolate chips.


The culprit: Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix. I chose to make the bread, simply because I have no muffin tin.

It's easy to make (all you need to do is add eggs, oil and water, as the box says). Easy can translate to not-yet-domesticated, good baking choice for a college student, what have you. Anyone want to give me cooking lessons? All I know how to make (well) are enchiladas and lasagna.


I could tell by looking at the box that this was going to be a successful venture.

Egg whites: I have nothing against a real, whole egg (though I am preferential to cage-free), but this was what I had in the fridge. I don't like to waste food and therefore used this as opposed to going to Publix to buy fresh eggs.


Oil - No need to worry - the Vineyard Vines Gator bookbag not included in the mix! Because nobody likes canvas-tasting bread. Fact.


And now, for the best addition to the pumpkin bread- chocolate chips, slowly folded in. Quality control was measured, you never know how long chocolate chips have been sitting on the grocery store shelf;) Results: delicious!


Blurry pic - hard to balance my phone while pouring and folding- maybe I just have shaky hands this round!

Pre-baking photo shoot, doing my best not to lick the pan clean:


Disclaimer - this is not a Target ad, just a preemptive trash bag for the inevitable mess I knew I'd make in the kitchen.

Final sliced product- I ruined the middle (was excited and cut too soon!) May as well have baked this baby in a Bundt pan, if only I had one. Note to self: buy Bundt and muffin tins!


Photo not taken with the Incredible, believe it or not, but my Nikon.

Wish I could have each of you over for a slice and I hope you have a great Monday! Check this out: How can you make your day #TGIM?

8 comments:

  1. I still haven't made pumpkin bread this season, but I've seen several people use the TJ's mix. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like some of that right now please.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. fall is definitely the season for pumpkin bread...glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin and chocolate are seriously a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SO MAD I DIDNT BUY THAT THE OTHER DAY! I was sooo close!! that looks awesome lova!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm looks SO good!!!!!!! holy cow that would be tasty with frosting :)

    hope you're having a great week so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. because i cant get trader joes here, expect me to arrive at ur place in a few hours haha. need some of this!! hopefully theres still leftovers :P

    ReplyDelete