Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Man v. Goals

Good evening, readers! How goes it? I'm having a lovely little evening munching Clif Bars(chocolate chip) like its my job, and ruining my appetite - so worth it! I wonder what kind of salary Clif Bar- eaters make?

And watching Man v. Food. Richman is currently chomping his way through Syracuse's famous frittata. Impressive, but I couldn't handle all of that savory food at once.

This is much more up my alley:



Richman's journey to Voodoo Donut makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I could eat sweets all day long! Anyone up for a dirty snowball? Rumor has it people have been married in this donut shop - no need to travel far to look for your wedding cake!

I've been more productive than that today - class, meetings, tabling, gymming, job applying - you name it, I've done it! I was lucky enough to come home and unwind with lululemon's Ask a Goal Coacher live event. Did any of you attend? Did you learn more about your goals?

I even asked the host, Matt, a question: "How do you suggest the best way to map goals for the next five years of your life?"

Matt answered: It can vary depending on what inspires you. I like mind maps or a paragraph that describes my vision in 5 years. Visuals help a tonne too! - Matt

Mind map a la Art Beneath the Cotton Woods:


This is easily the most beautiful mind map I've seen, but mine might be a little more simplistic since I lack drawing skills. Nonetheless, I'm going to get started on mine asap.

Fill in the blank: I will __________ by _____.

These are my answers to lululemon's fill in the blanks. Some of them seem idealistic to me as of now, but I like to aim high, dream big and work for what I want.

  • I will get a job by December 31,2010. I'm working hard on this goal on a daily basis, and plan to keep my strategies the same. I've created an Excel spreadsheet of where I've applied, when I sent my application in, and if I've heard back or followed up with the company. Some refer to this last statement as nerdy, but I'm proud of my organizational skills. My planner may or may not be color-coded.
  • I will be more confident starting now. I think my nerves about my previous goal are getting in the way of this. As of now, I'm going to be more confident and in my abilities - or at least fake it til I make it!
  • I will run outside more starting when the weather isn't so humid. I am the first to admit I'm terrible at running outside. I don't have much practice, and when I finally give it a go I get sweaty and uncomfortable and give up. When the weather drops to the low 70s, I'm going to take on the roads of Gainesville!
  • I will become a more experienced cook starting now. While I love eating my dad's enchiladas or lasagna, I feel that reaching outside of my ability to bake or cook limited items is a must. I'll be attempting (and blogging) about my attempts to recreate Oh She Glows' Peanut Butter, Jam and Banana Breakfast Pizza and Kath's Smoked Salmon and Vegetable Frittata, to name a few.

If you had to fill in the blank, what would you write? You will ________ by ____. The possibilities are limitless!

5 comments:

  1. Goal setting is something I should definitely do. I like your idea of the spreadsheet with the job applications because the last time I was job seeking it was a mess to remember who I've applied to, what was it for etc--so not nerdy! genius! Since I plan on getting married within the next year, I need to either get a better job or vamp up my freelance skills (I'm a graphic designer). In addition, I'm happy about the cooler temperatures, as I started running in January of this year, so I need to get back to doing that. Now I just need to fill in those blanks! Somehow, my goals always seem to be rather vague in my " timeline" to complete them. Something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a great post!!!

    i think mine would be "i will try and not completely wipe myself out by every friday!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog.

    What's crazy is the fact that I have only read the fist post and can't wait to keep reading.

    I too am actively searching for a job and have set numerous goals for myself over the next few months in determination to get a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your goals! I have a similar strategy for employment, but this job market is a beast! I've been looking since June, and it's really hard. I'm hoping that something comes up soon, though! Best wishes in reaching your goals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I love it. It could work wonders for anyone. The only goal I have had for so long was shedding my fat gut lol. I found this program about changing your diet to turn your body into a fat burning machine. It was the miracle I've been looking for for so long. I FINALLY got that goal out of the way, now I just need to find a better job lol.

    ReplyDelete