Monday, July 12, 2010

Stressed Out?

Summertime and stress are two words I don't typically associate with each other, but as I become more of an adult (ha), the dog days of summer are quickly disappearing. I've been stressed lately - personal relationships, the past, etc. - and I can feel its toll on my body. I thought could be remedied with sugarfree Red Bulls, but did I think wrong!




Stress is not a good addition to an overall healthy lifestyle, and I was more than happy to Google it (obv) and learn what stress really is and how to overcome this powerful emotion. I'll be the first to admit I'm quick to jump to an easy fix, which isn't always (and almost never) is the best solution.

You'd be surprised at some of the answers!

The most common defintion of stress is a reaction to a particular event, and the body's way of rising to the challenge and reacting appropriately. Most of the time I think of stress, I think of a fist-clenching, headache-producing response to an event in my life that makes me want to scream or go to kickboxing.

Or both.




Heard of the fight or flight response to stressors? Succinctly, you either choose to stay and fight or run away. The easier option may be a good short-term break (as in cooling down before talking to a friend after a fight, or taking a night away from hitting the books), but I like to refer myself to this quote when I can feel my blood pressure rising:

"Tough times don't last, tough people do." - Many people are quoted as saying this, and I didn't want to misrepresent it's original speaker.

Stress is a slippery slope. It's easy to become angry and depressed over things that seem to bog you down. You may think you're the only person on the planet going through a break up, struggling with your studies or fighting with a loved one.

You aren't! So how do you work through this stress?

  • Phone a Friend- I guarantee you aren't alone when it comes to being stressed. Talking to another person in the same situation or someone who has "been there" can provide much-needed perspective and help you realize that everything's going to be alright.
  • Exercise- Like I previously said, kickboxing helps me release my physical tensions when I'm stressed, which has surprisingly positive results in removing mental blocks.
  • Adapting- I realize this bullet point is much easier said then done, but if you can find a healthy fix to a problem, congratulations! Once you crack the code and solve the mystery to your problem, you have freed yourself from the chains that were holding you back. Go forth and tackle your problems!

In other E&E news, I spent time escaping to reduce my stress levels this weekend. I went to Tampa's tall ship convention.



I thought I would like it more than I did, but it made me think about Concordia and worked against what I had planned. Oops!

Now I'm back to school and working hard. Found time to bake today though! Brownies = automatic stress reduction:)


How do you deal with stress? Do you find yourself to be a fighter or a flight-er? Do you have any tips on how to reduce stress?

5 comments:

  1. sad to say but when im stressed i just give up until it goes away. pretty lame, but i just cant deal sometimes. but i guess it would definitely depend on the stressor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i DEF have to deal with stress at school - esp exam week! i sleep a lot and fuel up! working out helps too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am permanently stressed out! I just worry WAY TOO MUCH. Being alone for a few hours really helps me decompress though...I need my me time to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I am stressed I like to listen to music, it always helps me. And workout, even when I have to force myself to the gym, I never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. exercise is always a great stress reliever as is deep breathing and a relaxing yoga sesh. :-) baking is also one of my fave stress relievers.

    ReplyDelete