Friday, May 7, 2010

An Ode to Books

Some may say that I am a fan of the written word. I agree, I am a book fanatic and have always loved to curl up with a book and get lost in a story, particularly ones that can take me places.

The books I've purchased over the years now litter my apartment, so I can choose to re-escape to Pi's lifeboat, obtain an emergency passport or follow Steven Tyler's life as I please.

Books go well with air fresheners, elephants and Buddha:


With Jillian Michael's workout DVDs on a coffee table:

Beneath other books and with different forms of media - Sex and the City, anyone?


With trinkets from travels:

Even with a not-so-healthy energy boost:


I am currently reading Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund. Have any of you read it? It's the story of Captain Ahab from a different angle. The back cover reads:
"Captain Ahab was neither my first husband nor my last. Yet, looking up- into the clouds- I conjure him there: his gray-white hair; his gathered brow; and the zaggy mark... That mark started like lightning at Ahab's temple and ran not all the way to his heel (as some thought) but ended at Ahab's heart."
It caught my eye, to say the least. Anyone who has been the girlfriend or wife of a sailor or someone in the Air Force, Army, etc. knows how hard it can be to wait, I rarely find stories about it and I always find it so interesting to see how the women cope and how strong they are.
On to some new summer snackage: Edy's Fruit Bars. These babies have no real nutritional value, I'm sure, and are sweetened with Splenda but they seem to be a good way to cool off quickly, which is essential as the heat creeps up (more like comes on full-force) in good-ol' central Florida.

Have any of you guys had these? What do you think?
And I JUST found these at Publix, no joke. They are always sold out here, forcing me to buy the elusive product when I go home to Tampa. Pineapple, I love you so much.


This got me thinking about why a pineapple is called a pineapple. Here's the Googled answer.

What are your favorite summer snacks? Do you like lighter, cooler eats to fend off the sweltering heat?

10 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of fruits during the summer, specifically watermelon, cantaloupe and peaches - I only get to enjoy those fruits three months out of the year!

    I'm in love with reading too - I'm so glad school is out for the summer because now I feel like I have time to "pleasure" read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making smooties and eating frozen grapes during the summer! Anything cold... living in Arizona the weather is just too hot for anything but frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can eat cold yogurt bowls all year round but I especially love them in the summer! I also love frozen yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all edy's ice cream items are amazing... i have not tried the fruit bars, because if i am going to have dessert it better include some chocolate. you should try edy's full loaded butterfinger or yogurt blend cookies and creme.. .so good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading too! I think I could spend hours just walking up and down the aisles.

    My favorite go to summer time snack is a protein smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting answer about the pineapple! My favorite summer snack is definitely cold fresh fruit- I eat MASSIVE amounts of it when the weather is warm. I love popsicles too, but it's so hard to find them without artificial sugar or a million grams of real sugar!

    Hope you have a great weekend girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Just found your blog and love that you're a gator!! I went to UF also, but now I love in DC :) Looking forward to reading more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fresh summer berries, all by themselves or mixed in with yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite the book collection you've got going on! I'm jealous =) I just recently started compiling my own collection and am hoping to start a little book shelf soon. The thing is, I LOVE reading, but had barely any time to read leisurely while I was in school. So now I'm trying to play catch-up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahab's wife is amazingggggg

    ReplyDelete